Tuesday 21 October 2014

Workshop. Lino printing



Today we did another workshop in the printing room. This time we looked at lino printing. I have done this in the past but had never liked it, my examples always looked badly done. To start we were given a small piece of soft lino. There are two tips which are soft and hard, hard is a lot better for detailed work but harder to carve. I already had a lino knife with me so I just got on with it. I based my design on a badger drawing from my taxidermy workshop from a previous day. I lightly drew it in pencil then began cutting. I cut off the excess using scissors. To do the printing we coated the lino cut in a thin layer of printing ink. This is done using a small roller. To print we used a printing press, it requires a lot of pressure to the print to make it even. And that was about it, I found the cutting to be quite easy as I have done it in the past. I’m happy with how it turned out, it’s nice and clear and is a lot better than my previous attempts.  

u
This is what uncut lino and the knife look like

My finished badger lino cut

This was the final result

No comments:

Post a Comment