Saturday 11 October 2014

Animals and Creatures/ Artist research. George Stubbs

Another artist I wish to look at is George Stubbs. He was an English painter living in the 17th century and is mainly known for his paintings of horses. I find his work good to research, mainly because of the animal anatomy. He was very good at showing muscle structure in his illustrations of animals and especially horses. His paintings have a very drab look to them but I think this is because of the oil paint and choice of colours. I quiet like this look though, I think the colours look organic and really suit the style of the painting.


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Whistlejacket_by_George_Stubbs_edit.jpg
A painting of Whistlejacket, this is one of
Stubbs most famous paintings

A lovely painting of a Rhinoceros by George Stubbs

 I found the painting of a Rhinoceros above to be really interesting. I’m not quite sure why but I like the piece a lot. The colours seem to be a bit muddy but it fits well with the realistic interpretation. I like all the little bump details on the rhinos skin, it adds so much more life to the painting. The big clouds in the background are a bit dramatic but this was a common thing in older oil paintings.


 A good link for more information.
http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/artists/george-stubbs

No comments:

Post a Comment