Saturday 18 October 2014

Animals and Creatures/ Artist research. Wenceslaus Hollar



Another artist I want to mention is Wenceslaus Hollar. I put up a post saying I was looking through the book Curious Beasts, while looking I found some of Hollar's work to be relay interesting. He is most well known for his illustrations of insects. He was alive during the 16th Century when actually studying animals in art was a fairly new thing. some of his illustrations have a very different vibe and have an almost medieval look to the art. A lot of his work was done as engraving with very little use of colour. I relay like the texture in his work. I personally love to work in pen and find old pen/ engraving work to be highly inspirational.

http://www.artsconnected.org/media/a2/bc/260e2acff62e46df927914576ab6/1024/768/96132.jpg
This image shows the style of Hollar's work, I love the textures on the insects wings
http://www.relewis.com/img/Hollar5butterflies.jpg
Another example of hollar's work.
I'm thinking of doing my final illustrations with a pen. it might be a good idea to try and replicate an old engraving style like the ones of Wenceslaus Hollar. Not copying his work but trying to capture the feel of that time pried in the drawings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment