Friday 17 October 2014

Animals and Creatures/ Workshop. Dry point printing



One of our workshops was about printing, the workshop was just an introduction but we still had a practical. We were told about the print room and what everything is for. We got to try some dry etch printing. It’s usually done using a piece of perspex but we just used some shiny card for the first time. We were asked to make an illustration of one fantasy animal. I chose one of my made up animals called a Quillrunner. I basically just re-drew one of my illustrations but onto the card. I then scratched it into the card with a tool to create the etching. When I was happy I could then use it to make the print. To do this I has to cover the etching with a special kind of printing ink. When it was well rubbed in the etching and all the excess was removed I could then create a print. The paper that I would transfer the image onto needed to be damp. When I had dampened the paper and my stamp was ready I could put them in the printing press. And that’s pretty much how I made this print. I enjoyed doing this and I would like to try it again in the future. 

This was my print. I'm happy with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment