Monday 5 January 2015

The Book of Drawings. Constructing the book



Once the titles were dry I could then start putting the book together. To start this I glued the illustrations onto the right hand pages using watered down PVA glue. The water colour paper I had used for my pages had begun to buckle and fold because of the amount of water I had used. This would be a problem but I kind of like it. It adds to the idea that the book was sat in a pond. Before sowing the pages together I marked out the holes where the needle should go. To sow the pages together I used a needle and green thread. Once I had  sown the pages together I also sowed in the water colour leaves. This was so they would stick out of the pages.



I added a border to the illustrations using patterned green craft tape which I found in a local store. I like how this turned out but I had to use pva glue to help the tape stick down. To make the book appear more organic I used some flock down the middle of each page spread. I did this because I thought it would look like moss growing in the book. I had to dye the flock green using food dye. I wasn’t fond of this at first because it’s a bit messy but over time I’ve become quite fond of how it has turned out. 

Final page spread for the Newt



No comments:

Post a Comment