Monday 9 March 2015

Narrative Illustration Development. Character designs for James



When you begin a character design it's important to remember any descriptions from the book. This helps keep the characters consistent with the text. If the character is a non-human then it’s important to research that animal/object. 

The first charterer design I will attempt is James. I’m trying to find a design which will work,  then I could use that as a template for the rest of my characters. These sketches were drawn with a fine pen to try out some early ideas. I played with the idea that James would be thin as his Aunt’s don’t feed him. This also led to some scruffy clothing and cut marks on his body as James works all day. 

The drawing of James holding an axe shows how I began to get a better grasp of the design. I received some good feedback from my peers with this look for the character. The beanie hat was well received with mainly positive comments. I went onto re draw this design again but added more detail. I tried some different clothing and added a wash of colour. I kept the hat as I think it works well with the character. The freckles on Jame's cheeks work with the character in my opinion and I think they work as a small detail. 

The clothing that James wears will need to fit in with his environment. I first draw him wearing trainers but then opted for brogues. One of my peers commented that the brogues seemed a bit too expensive for a poor boy like James. The trainers would be a more reasonable choice for his character. At the end of the book James lives in New York, I might give him brogues in that illustration to reflect his better life.


The next set of drawings were clothing designs for James. I wanted Jame's clothing to have a contrast from the beginning to end. They are all numbered to make choosing more convenient. For James at the beginning of the book I am going to choose hat number 1, shirt number 2, shorts no 1 and shoes number 3. When James has his new life I want to clothe him with no hat, shirt number 4, shorts number 5 and shoes number 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment