Saturday 2 May 2015

Narrative Illustration/ Development. The problem with illustration nine



I thought it would be best if I made a separate post on the Illustration nine Vignettes. Although I have been calling it Illustration nine it was going to be seven different drawings, showing the bug characters at their new jobs. For my earlier blog posts discussing thumbnails and mock-ups I left this set of Illustrations quite open to interpretation. I was toying with the idea of putting them all in one big Vignette but I felt it would look very similar to the design for Illustration four.

As I was creating them I did draw up some quick guide lines and mock ups but this was after I had done this for all the final drawings. This was to help when I was using light box on the actual drawings. I was finding that some of the designs were looking a bit flat but the main problem with these drawings is that they are going to be very small in the final book. This is because there will be more than one per page, leaving little room for text. 

The aim was to show the bugs doing something which related to their new job.

I began with Silk Worm and Spider, they created a silk and nylon factory. This was a chance to draw them together, I drew a quick mock up with them both stood next to a factory sign. I was not happy with how the silk worm was looking. Her head was way too small and she was stood in an awkward position. After a few attempts I fixed this problem. I was happy with the position of spider but I made a few tweaks to the design. I placed a different blanket on Spiders back because I had plans for the rainbow one to be in Jame's new home. I don’t think it is that noticeable but I included it as an extra little detail.
I continued this process for the rest of the Bug Vignettes which mostly went to plan. I did encounter some problems when going through the process. One example was Centipede, I attempted this drawing with less planning than the other designs. I also didn’t use the Light Box as in the first drawing as I thought it would be OK. I soon noticed that the drawing was not going to plan as Centipede was looking a bit stocky. To fix this I simply used this drawing as a guideline for the next attempt. This time I did use a Light Box and the result was much better. When I painted him I gave him multi-coloured shoes.

I made a big mistake with the Earthworm Vignette. For some reason I had written down that he works as Tunnel Digger for the New York underground Rail. This was wrong as he actually works as a Cosmetic's Consultant. It was easy to fix this problem in this illustration, but I felt confused as to why I wrote that in my notes.

Despite having some problems with this set of illustrations I think the final results work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment