Friday 10 April 2015

Narrative Illustration/ Development. Final character design showcase



At this point in my development of all the main characters have been designed. I’m happy with the design outcomes especially the bugs, but I think there needs to be more distinction when it comes to the colour chose. I’m not too worried at this point at this stage of development. When I come to choosing final colours I will then try and much them so the characters blends in to their environment and the overall illustrations.

I find that all the bug designs work well together, possibly because of their similar designs. I have tried to incorporate character traits in to the design as I think this makes them work much better when alongside descriptive text. Spider is one of the examples, in the book she is both shy and self-conscious. I want this to show this in her body language and overall look. This was attempted by giving her a hunch over posture along with folded dainty limbs. The rainbow thro on hear back is an attempt to show she is not scary.

Centipede is another I am particularly happy with. I wanted him to look smug and conferment with himself. I think I got this look across ferly well in the design.

The two aunts seem a bit ghastly or out of place compared to the rest of my designs. This is intentional as they are described this way in the book. I don’t think they have strong designs compared to the rest but they are hardly in the book and I wanted them to look as unappealing as possible. For James I wanted a ferly simple design but wan that worked for the character. I feel the final result works for the story and I am ferly happy with how it looks. I think the beanie hat adds a bit of extra character to James.

Below are al the final designs ready to be used in my illustrations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment