Monday 13 April 2015

Narrative Illustration/ Development. My thoughts on mid century



I continued with the mid-century inspired style which I had developed through my experiments. Two other pieces were made during my experiments. These included an image of Glow-worm hanging from a rope and an image of the peach tree.  Despite working well with the character of the book I was beginning to struggle with this look. It was taking me much longer as I had to layer the colour, also the designs seemed to require many more different processes than what I would normally use 


I have decided to drop the mid-century look from this project. This is not because I don’t like what I have made or because I don’t think it works for the book. The mid-century look fits with James and the giant peach in my opinion but as I say, the style does not work for me.  I'm very happy with the experiments I have created so far but it's just not for me. This hasn’t been a waste of time in my opinion. Working like this has been a bit of an eye opener, especially when working with colour. Looking at mid-century has shown me that it can be good to mix up colour stereotypes. For example, a tree would often be depicted using green and brown. Mid-century styles would mix that up, using brighter or more unusual colours.

To continue my illustrations I will probably work in a style akin to what I used when designing the characters. It will still need some bright colours and interesting compositions to fit in with the Roald Dahl style of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment